Sunday, May 20, 2007

Conversaton starter... I am not.

Me and talking sometimes don't mix. I've got my business side, which pans out fine. I can handle a business conversation like snap. Then I've got my "normal" side.

The normal side sucks when it comes to starting a conversation. Where do you start? Where do you go from the conventional handshake and general chat-chit of "where are you from?" That all too familiar awkward silence can make any situation seem long. I'm usually the quiet one in the group. The one who likes to sit in the corner and listen to people talk. I'm small enough to where I can hide out and no one will notice. I'm somewhat an observationist. (If such a thing exists) I don't have much of an interesting life. Really I dont. I don't do exciting thing, but I'd like to eventually. Sure I make films, but even that part of my life is moving at a snail's pace. One of these days I'll have something interesting to say.

Half way across the globe is the Festival du Cannes. The hub-bub of film is a-happening. In an way, I guess, you can say it's the film festival of all film festivals. Eleven days of movies galore by the French Riviera. Sun, beach, films, people. Did I mention films, yet? The glitz, the glam, the all too famous Palais croisette. But most importantly people trying to get movies deals made. Où signe-t-je, Monsieur? (Where do I sign, Sir?) The roster this year seems quite interesting. Wong-Kar Wai's new film Blueberry Nights with Jude Law, Norah Jones, Rachel Weisz and others opened the festival. I managed to see a small trailer for it. Looks interesting. We'll see when it comes out. The Coen Brothers have a new film as well called No Country for Old Men with Javier Bardem. That's looks pretty interesting as well. Plus I think Javier Bardem is a really good actor. So there's a good chance that I may like this one. There's a couple of other films that sound interesting too, but I haven't had a chance to look them up yet. The Philippines did managed to get a film into the Director's Fortnight (Quinzaine des Réalisateurs). Not in competition, but showcasing movies from around the world. A mighty feet for any Filipino director, or film for that matter, especially with the track record of less than stellar movies. Any Filipino reading this knows what I'm talking about. So we'll see... the festival runs until next sunday when all the awards will be given out. Who will win this year's Palme D'or?
 
web statistics