Sunday, May 10, 2009

Space the Final Frontier




It is here! The new overly anticipated Star Trek movie.

Directed by J.J. Abrams
Starring Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Zoe Saldana.

When I saw the trailer for this last year, I was eagerly excited. I've been a small fan of the franchise for some time. I remember watching The Next Generation religiously as a kid. I've seen all the movies and a few episodes of the original series. I quit watching after TNG. I still watch reruns on Sci-Fi channel when I catch them. The other series that followed after just didn't have the spark. I tried, but nothing. So my love-affair with Star Trek began to whither and gather dust.

I watched the movie at the Cinerama Dome at the Arclight in Hollywood. It was quite a packed house. Full of fans and non-fans alike.

The movie follows the journey of how the original U.S.S. Enterprise crew began. You can definitely see the characteristics made famous by William Shatner, Leonard Nemoy, and the rest of the original members in the younger cast. There were familiar phrases said. There were funny moments and heart-string moments. Action and a well-rounded plot. Not perfect, but definitely a hit. There's only so much you can do in a 2-hour span. The Enterprise looked great.

Funny thing I found surprising was the bit parts of Winona Ryder playing Spock's mother and Tyler Perry playing an admiral in Starfleet. I'm glad to see Winona back on the screen. Been a fan for many years. It's been a while since I've seen her in anything. And Tyler Perryit's nice to see him in something that's not Medea.

There seems promise for another movie, so it's a wait and see game. I can happily say that J.J. Abrams has renewed my faith in a franchise I once thought was long lost.

Live Long and Prosper

3 comments:

curiousdomestic said...

I was skeptical at first, but it was totally awesome. I wanna go see it again!

Justin said...

i think they've already decided to do 2 more movies based on the success of this one. i'm a die-hard trek fan, and i definitely enjoyed this one.

Jenn said...

curious domestic: I would love to see it again.

Justin: Really?? Sweet!! Can't wait for the next one's to come out.

 
web statistics