Monday, March 08, 2010

I had a dream...

...that I was successful.

...that I would be rich and famous in my own right. Then again, who doesn't?

...that I would one day find my prince charming.

...that I will one day direct my first feature. -- I still have that dream.

...that I would one day be the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best Director. But alas...that dream is now just a dream. Yet, I happily relinquish that dream as it has now been achieved by someone whose work I admire. It was the right choice. And after 82 years...it's about freakin' time!!

Congratulations Kathryn Bigelow!!!

Her film The Hurt Locker also won Best Picture. All in all it won 6 of 9 categories it was nominated for. There were two things she said backstage at the press room that I love:

First: "...I hope I'm the first of many. Of course, I'd love to just think of myself as a filmmaker, and I long for the day when a modifier can be a moot point. But I'm ever grateful if I can inspire some young, intrepid, tenacious male or female filmmaker and have them feel that the impossible is possible and never give up on your dream."

Second, advice for aspiring filmmakers: "I would say, and I don't mean it to sound simple, but just to never give up on your dream. I mean, I've been making films for a while — about 30 years. So when I say, 'Don't give up on your dream,' I mean it quite literally. Be tenacious, but work on the stories you truly, truly believe in, because then no obstacle is too great."

Couldn't have said it better myself. Never give up on your dream. I sure, for one, have not. It makes me more determined to try and get my films done. One way or another.


Side note: I did pretty good with my predictions. I got the short subject categories wrong, as I didn't see any of those, as well as adapted screenplay, foreign film. But everything else was pretty much spot on. To see what my picks were, you can click here. Oh, and where was Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur on the memorium section? Anyone? Last I remember, they did a few films here and there. It's like how they left out Brad Renfro a couple years back. I also loved the John Hughes tribute, too.

1 comment:

Cafe Pasadena said...

Keep reaching for your dreams. For what you love. Surround yourself with supporters of you & your goals!

Keep on knocking on doors & eventually one will open for YOU!

 
web statistics