Sunday, November 23, 2008

I haven't written a movie review on this blog in a long while. So here are 2 reviews. But be warned these may contain some spoilers.

Review #1 - Rocknrolla
Directed by Guy Ritchie (Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels; Snatch)

Cast includes Gerard Butler, Thandie Newton, and Tom Wilkinson

I really liked it. This should have been the movie he made years ago rather than that campy Madonna flick, Swept Away. Just the fact that I remembered the title of that movie is beyond me. Or maybe because that's how bad it was that it was burned into my head of movies never to watch ever again. I thought he had lost his touch then, but I'm willing to forgive and forget.

It's got a good mix of funny and gritty bits. I always liked the British sense of humor and sharp-tongue conversations. The story revolves around a group of characters that deal with drugs, money, gangsters and rock'n'roll. Each storyline related to each other in one form or another. It was stylistically done. If you've seen his other movies, they are similar to that effect. Good pacing that kepts the interest of the audience. It may be a bit confusing at first, but as the movie goes on, you get a sense of each character and their inter-connectivity.


Review #2 - Twilight
Directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Thirteen)

Cast includes Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson, and Peter Facinelli.

I have read the first book and plan to read the others. I'm pretty good when it comes separating books to their film counterparts. I know how difficult it is to bring a novel into film form especially for two hours. Besides, I didn't go into the film with high expectations anyway. So from a filmmaker's perspective, it was alright for what it was. Not great by any means. Of course, this movie is catered to the teen and young adult age groups, so I think it hit the mark on that. You can hear the young girls giggle as they see Rob Pattinson light up the screen. Yes, I have to admit I was like that once.

Overall, I felt the movie was a bit rushed. There were certain plot points I wished they kept in the story. There were those awkward and cheesy moments, but what else is to be expected. A good chunk of dialogue seemed forced as well. Scenes that were supposed to have a sort of dramatic undertone that ended up being laughable at times. For example, when Bella sits next to Edward in biology class on her first day, Edward looked more like "I want to vomit" rather than "I want to kill you". But that's just how I saw it along with some others in the theater I was in.

Also, I actually cared more for the supporting characters then I did for the main two. I thought it's supposed to be the other way around. I wanted to find out more about the Cullen children and Bella's friends. I did enjoy the baseball scene. Then again there's only so much you can cram into the two hour span. I guess it's one of those take it for what it is types. It's definitely not for those sophisticated movie goers. It's purely for entertainment purposes and die-hard Twilight fans alike. Here's hoping that the sequels fair better and maybe with a better budget.

No comments:

 
web statistics